Whole Wheat Cast Iron Skillet Drop Biscuits
I have combined the two techniques added whole wheat flour, yogurt and other healthy alternatives. These are light and fluffy with crispy edges from the cast iron skillet.
- 2 c
- flour, whole wheat
- 2 pkg
- splenda (small packets)
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- coconut oil (refrigerated for 30 min.)
- 3/4 c
- fat free plain yogurt
- 3/4 c
- skim milk
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 c
- flour, whole wheat for dredging
How to Make Whole Wheat Cast Iron Skillet Drop Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl stir together the first five (5) ingredients with a whisk, making sure to incorporate the baking soda and baking powder well.
- 3With a pastry blender, your whisk or your hands cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture until the oil is about the size of a pea or smaller.
- 4Combine the yogurt and the skim milk and add it to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Allow it to sit for a few minutes. At least 3.
- 5While that is sitting put your oil or butter in your cast iron skillet and put it in to the oven to melt.
- 6In a soup bowl place you additional 1/2 cup of flour. Spray an ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup and dredge them in the flour.
- 7Drop one scoop of the dough in the flour, gently toss it in the flour with your fingers and shake off any excess and put it in the skillet coat the bottom with oil then move to a less oily part of the skillet and carefully turn it over (I use a small spoon to help)remember the skillet is hot.