Sweet Potato Biscuits
If you love sweet potatoes, you will love these biscuits!
Serve warm with butter!
2 1/2 call purpose flour
2 Tbspbaking powder
1/8 tspallspice, ground
1/8 tspclove, ground
1/4 cbrown sugar, light, packed
1/4 cunsalted butter, chilled
1 1/2 csweet potatoes, mashed
How to Make Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Pre-heat oven to 425. To make biscuits: Sift the flour, baking powder, allspice, cloves, and salt in large bowl. Use the tips of your fingers to blend in the brown sugar. Cut in the chilled butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles course, crumbly meal.
- Stir in the mashed sweet potatoes and knead until the dough just holds together. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 1 minute, adding a little flour as necessary to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Pat the dough in a 1/2 inch circle and let it rest covered with a clean towel for 10-15 minutes. Cut out the biscuits with a 2 inch round cutter dipped in flour.
- Gather the scraps, pat out again, and cut into biscuits. Arrange them about 3/4 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and brush tops with milk.
- Bake until golden brown - 10 to 12 minutes. Cool the biscuits on a rack.
Note: Seem flat to me (they didn't puff up as much as I thought they should), but are still very tasty!