SOFT AND FLUFFY BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
TRUDY A MANN
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 4 c
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- crisco butter flavored shortening, cold
- 1/4 c
- butter or margarine, cold
- 1 1/2 - 2 c
- buttermilk, more or less depending on your altitude
How to Make SOFT AND FLUFFY BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
- 1In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- 2Add the shortening and butter, cut into flour with a Pastry Cutter or two forks until the mixture resembles small peas.
- 3Beat the egg and add the buttermilk to the flour at the same time, Combine just until well mixed, do not overwork.
- 4Roll out the dough to about 1" thick, cut biscuits into rounds Place on cookie sheet or skillet brushed with Crisco. Brush tops of biscuits with butter before baking.(Tip: Sometimes I pat the dough out into a big square and cut them with a knife or pizza cutter, I cut the dough into a square shape, this way you use all the dough and have no scraps, (Who said biscuits have to be round???)
- 5Bake in a preheated oven at 450* degrees until golden brown, rotate the pan halfway through baking time to insure even browning. Mine took about 18-20 minutes to brown.