Mommoo's Buttermilk Biscuits
How to Make Mommoo's Buttermilk Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 475°. Grate frozen butter using a hand grater or a box grater. (this is a trick us Appalachian gals do to make mixing butter easier. If using shortening cut in until your flour is course and mealy looking. Toss together grated butter and White Lilly flour in a medium bowl (if using baking soda add it to the flour and mix together) stick in freezer for at least 10 minutes. (White Lilly is a Soft Winter Wheat Flour which is less gluten and higher protein and just seems to be the best for biscuits I.M.O it absorbs liquid so much better.
- Make a well in center of mixture. Add buttermilk, and stir from bottom up just until combined. Dough will be sticky or shaggy
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly sprinkle flour over top of dough. Using a lightly floured rolling pin or floured hands if you would rather pat your dough (I am a Patter :) roll or pat dough to about 3/4-inch-thick. Fold dough in half. fold and lightly knead dough 4 times.
- Roll or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 to 3 inch floured round cutter, reshaping scraps and flouring as needed Do not twist your cutter! Twisting your cutter causes your sides to seal and keeps your biscuits from raising high! Shake or Shimmy your cutter to loosen and seperate dough
- Place on a cookie or jelly roll sheet or your favorite biscuit pan sprayed with cooking spray, brushed with oil or lined with parchment paper. (I use parchment Mommoo uses liquid oil) and place on upper center rack (in my oven that is the 3rd rack down from top) for 12 to 15 minutes if tops are not brown enough just hit them with the broiler until desired brownness
- ****If you want to make a shortbread for a short cake replace buttermilk with cream, half and half or just whole milk add 4 tbs to sugar and you have a shortbread :)
- Mommoo has always told me the trick to a fluffy and high standing biscuit is not to over work your dough. To be kind to it and don't abuse it. And never do the twist with it save that for the dance floor. God I love my Mommoo :)