Easy Cream Scones for Two
- 1 c
- self rising flour
- small pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable shortening
- 1/2 c
- cream, approximate plus a little for brushing on top
- almond extract, or vanilla if you prefer
How to Make Easy Cream Scones for Two
- 1Preheat oven to 425. Line your baking pan with parchment paper. Use a light colored pan, a dark baking sheet will make your scones dark on the bottom.
- 2Mix dry ingredients
- 3Cut in shortening, I use a fork
- 4Mix almond extract into 1/2 c cream
- 5Pour most of cream into flour mixture. Stir gently. You want the dough to just come together, not crumbly and not sticky. Add the rest of the cream if needed. I usually use it all. You may even need a little more. It all depends on your flour, environment, etc.
- 6Put on floured surface and form into a rectangle about 3 x 6. Just press it together, don't knead. I usually cut this in half for 2 square scones. You could cut it into 3 triangles if you want to be traditional. Place on the baking sheet.
- 7Brush the tops with a little cream and sprinkle with the coarse decorating sugar.
- 8Place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Yes, DO IT!
- 9Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool slightly before serving.
- 10These are best served with clotted cream, also called Devon Cream, and fruit jam. We Love Strawberry. Devon cream can be found in the dairy section of specialty stores like Fresh Market. Some supermarkets may have it but it's hard to find here.