Found a lot of recipes all basically the same so I did the normal and combined a couple and came up with this I hope you enjoy these.
My hubby loves them but I doubt they will ever be as good as Patti's.
*******Changes Made***** It is easier if you use a grater to grate your butter then there is less handling of the dough leaving your ingredients colder and then they raise higher. Yea!
2 call purpose flour
1 Tbspbaking powder sifted
6 Tbspbutter, frozen in little squares
1/3 ccranberries or blueberries (dried)
1/2 cheavy cream, cold
2 Tbspheavy cream, cold (for the top)
·sugar sprinkles for the top
How to Make Breakfast Scones
- Add the dry ingredients being sure to sift the baking powder to make sure there will be no brown spots in your scones.
- Cut in the frozen butter or just dig in and mush it up, but you have to work very quickly. You DO NOT want to melt your butter or make it soft. It is part of what makes them rise. Make sure everything is cold you work with.
This is where I made a change. I grated the butter then tossed it in the flour, turned on the beater for about 30 seconds added the wet ingredients and the berries and then once almost all was wet about 45 seconds dumped it onto a cutting sheet. Kneading it about one minute then formed my flat round and cut it. It was faster and easier.
- Mix the egg with the 1/2 cup of cream and beat together until creamy.
- Add all the wet ingredients to the dry and throw in the berries at this time. Work quickly then knead a little bit in the bowl just to make a nice ball.
- Flatten the ball on a clean surface and use VERY little flour into 3/4 inch thick 8 inch circle.
Cut into 8 pieces.
- Move to your baking sheet. Brush with the last two tablespoons of cream then sprinkle on the coarse sugar sprinkles.