Angel Biscuits (Hints from Heloise's recipe)
- 2 1/4 tsp
- active dry yeast
- 1/4 c
- water, warm
- 2 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 1/8 c
- 1/2 c
- lard or shortening
- 1 c
How to Make Angel Biscuits (Hints from Heloise's recipe)
- 1mix yeast and warm water in separate bowl. do not use water over 110 degs, or it will kill yeast.
- 2in large separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
- 3cut in lard or shortening until pieces are very small
- 4stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture. Either refrigerate dough, or proceed to knead lightly on floured board and roll to 3/4" and cut with a floured biscuit cutter or glass.
- 5place in greased pan. Some people like to baste with butter, but as much as I love butter, I don't do this. Let rise for a few minutes.
- 6Bake at 400 degs Fahrenheit until light brown, about 12 minutes.
- 7Serve with gravy, or buttered with honey or jam, or with a slab of ham or sausage and cheddar cheese...or just enjoy plain..