Tomatoes Sweet-Salty and Spicy
Use small heirlooms or other small tomatoes. Food52.
- 8 small
- heirloom tomatoes or other small tomatoes
- 6 Tbsp
- 8 Tbsp
- ultra fine sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- green peppercorns
- 8 Tbsp
- very good olive oil
How to Make Tomatoes Sweet-Salty and Spicy
- 1Cut off the stem end of the tomatoes and then slice them into 1/2 inch slices.
When all the tomatoes are sliced, place them on a rimmed sheet pan.
- 2Brush or drizzle olive oil over each tomato slice.
Mix the sugar and the salt together. Sprinkle some of the sugar/salt mixture on each tomato.
- 3Using a mortar and pestle grind the peppercorn until crushed but not pulverized.
Sprinkle some green crushed peppercorns on each tomato slice.
- 4Put the pan of tomatoes into a 175^ oven for about 3 hours. The tomatoes will still be juicy and they will be caramelized. They are great hot or cold. (some ovens caramelize better at 225^-mine worked at 175^)
This recipe does not dry out the tomatoes.. it simply concentrates the juice and the flavors for use as a condiment on sandwiches, crostini, or as a garnish or by themselves.