Poor Man's "Shrimp" Cocktail
It was hard to believe it could possibly come close. Give it a try and see what you think. A great treat for your vegan or allergic guests for Superbowl!!
1 cdry crab boil seasoning ( such as old bay, zatarain's or mccormick
1/4 ckosher salt
2yellow onions, quartered
3lemons, halved crosswise
21 pound heads of cauliflower, cored and trimmed inot 2" florets
How to Make Poor Man's "Shrimp" Cocktail
- Combine crab boil, salt, onions, garlic and 6 quarts of water in a large pot. Squeeze juice from lemons into pot and add lemon halves. Set pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes to let flavors meld.
- With a slotted spoon remove onions, garlic and lemons from broth and discard.
- Return liquid to a boil.
- Add cauliflower; turn off heat and let stand until cauliflower is crisp tender about 5-10 minutes.
- Drain; spread out cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and let cool completely. Chill or serve at room temp. We liked it best chilled.
- Arrange cauliflower on a platter and serve with cocktail sauce.
- Can be done ahead.....Cauliflower can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.