Hoppin' John Salad
In this recipe the bacon is replaced by a lemon-mustard dressing,the black-eyed peas and rice are combined with colorful vegetables,and the dish is served at room temperature
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- raw rice
- 1 pkg
- (10 oz) frozen black-eyed peas,thawed
- plum tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes
- celery ribs
- 1 large
- yellow or red bell pepper
- 3 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp
- yellow mustard
- 1 clove
- garlic minced or crushed through a press
- 4 tsp
- grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 1/3 c
- olive oil or other vegetable oil
How to Make Hoppin' John Salad
- 1In a medium saucepan,bring the water,rice and black-eyed peas to a boil over medium-high heat.Reduce the heat to medium-low,cover and simmer until rice and black-eyed peas are tender and all the liquid absorbed,15-20 minutes.
- 2Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- 3Meanwhile,coarsely chop the tomatoes ,celery,bell pepper and scallions and place in a large salad bowl.
- 4In a small bowl ,combine the lemon juice mustard,garlic,lemon zest(if using) and black pepper.Whisk in the olive oil.
- 5Add the rice and black-eyed peas to the vegetables .Add the dressing and toss to combine