Dried Fig and Walnut Appies
I served it with the pastry. Delicious!!
- 2 c
- chopped dried figs
- 1/2 c
- cognac...i used brandy as that was what i had on hand....
- 2 Tbsp
- canola oil
- shallot, finely chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- anchovy fillets or 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 3/4 c
- chopped walnuts , toasted
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- baguette, sliced if using
How to Make Dried Fig and Walnut Appies
- 1Bring figs and cognac to a gentle boil.Reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 mins or until figs are soft and cognac is absorbed...this will happen quickly and the figs really absorbed all the liquid. Continue cooking on low heat and watch carefully to avoid scorching.. Remove and heat and cool slightly.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a small skillet, cook shallot, garlic and anchovies for 3 mins or until very soft.Stir in walnuts and parsley. Pour fig mixture into a food processor and add shallot mixture. Puree until smooth. Season with s&p to taste. Serve in a bowl with baguette slices.
I used 2 sheets of puff pastry and spread with the mixture.Sprinkle with a little shredded cheddar cheese and roll up. Slice into 1 inch slices and bake in 400 degree oven for approx 15 mins until golden brown.
This spread can be made ahead for up to a week.