Blue Ribbon Recipe
Cute as a button... and tasty too! These are a simple, bite-size appetizer. I like to double the amount of filling to make sure there's plenty for each little 'mater. The Test Kitchen
30cherry tomatoes (about 1-1/4 pints)
2-3medium avocados, pitted, peeled & cut up
4 ozcream cheese, room temperature
1/2 tspgarlic salt (or to taste)
1/2 tspblack pepper (or to taste)
1 Tbsplemon juice
1 Tbsponion, grated or very finely diced
How to Make Avocado-Stuffed Tomatoes
- Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato so you can scoop out the seeds. (I also cut a very thin slice from the bottom of each tomato so they stand upright.)
- Using a small melon baller, carefully scoop out the inside of the tomatoes. Turn them upside down on a paper towel lined cookie sheet and let them stand for about 30 minutes to drain. You can either add the pulp into the filling mixture, or, if there are too many seeds, just discard the pulp.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling...put avocado, cream cheese, garlic salt, pepper and lemon juice in a food processor. Cover and pulse until smooth.
- Add the grated onion to the mixture and stir to blend. Spoon mixture into a piping bag with a round tip or a ziptop plastic bag (cut a small tip off of the plastic bag AFTER you spoon the mixture into it).
- Place the tomatoes, open sides up, on your favorite serving platter. Pipe the filling into the tomato 'cups'.
- Serve immediately or cover loosly and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.