Shrimp Toast - My Way
Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a great appetizer to serve at your next party! I always love recipes that are easy to prepare and yummy too. I topped mine with some sweet chili sauce. Yum! The Test Kitchen
6 slicewhite bread, crust removed
6 largeshrimp, peeled and deveined
2 largescallions, finely diced
1 clovegarlic, minced
1/4 can(s)water chestnuts, chopped
1-2 pinchred pepper flakes
1 tspgarlic powder
1 Tbspsoy sauce, low sodium
1/8 tspground ginger, use fresh finely minced if you have it.
1 tspsoy sauce, low sodium
How to Make Shrimp Toast - My Way
- Slice crusts off of each slice of bread and cut into 4 triangles. Set aside.
- Peel, remove tails, devein & clean raw shrimp. Pat dry and set aside.
- Finely dice scallions, water chestnuts & garlic clove on large cutting board then push aside.
*I use the remaining water chestnuts in a simple chicken or beef & veggie stir fry served with these tasty treats*
- Cut shrimp into more manageable pieces then begin to finely chop into a paste by rocking a large chef knife back and forth across the surface of the shrimp. This will take a few minutes.
- Add the scallions, water chestnuts & garlic to the shrimp and mince together a bit more then place in a small mixing bowl.
- Add red pepper flake, soy sauce, garlic powder & ginger to the shrimp paste and stir to combine.
*you can use finely minced ginger root in this if you want to just be sure to mince well.
- In a separate dish whisk together egg, 1tsp soy sauce (optional) & cornstarch until smooth and pour into shrimp paste. This is the glue so stir together really well.
- Spread one side of each bread triangle with a small amount of the shrimp mixture.
- Heat skillet with 1/4 inch of canola oil to about 350 degrees just intil it starts to ripple and place the bread shrimp side down in the hot oil.