Pasteis de Bacalhau - Codfish Cakes
Traditionally these cod cakes are made for special occasions, although you find then all over Portugal at local taverns & cafes, eaten as an entree or snack.
The addictive codfish cakes are eaten at room temperature usually on the same day as they are made. The taste is unique & well worth it.
- 1kg potatoes
- 600g dryed cod (bacalhau)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 white onion,peeled & grated, juice squeezed out
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to Make Pasteis de Bacalhau - Codfish Cakes
- 1Before you use codfish( bacalhau) you need to soak it to remove the excess salt, for 15-20hrs.
Soak the fish the night before, after dinner rinse the fish first to remove excess salt & then put it in a large bowl with enough water to completely cover it.
Cover the bowl & refrigerate.
In the morning remove the water & refill with fresh water & then leave it too soak a further 4 or 5 hours, changing the water at least another 2 times within this period .
- 2Peel the potatoes & cook them in water until there soft.
Then strain the water from the cod & put the codfish in side a saucepan with cold water & bring to the boil.
As soon as the water has boiled the fish is cooked, strain the fish.
Put the cooked codfish inside a blender with the garlic cloves, grated onion & blend, till it's pulverized.
- 3In a bowl add the pulverized codfish & the chopped parsley. Set aside until needed.
- 4When the potatoes are cooked mash them. Now add the codfish, potatoes and salt together. Next add the eggs, mixing till well combined.
- 5With 2 tablespoons shape the mixture into quenelles.
Next, fry the quenelles in clean medium/hot oil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the outside and hot in the middle.
Drain them on kitchen paper.
Codfish is a firm textured fish, slightly dry, so there is no need to add flour to the mixture to hold it together.
Squeezing the water out of the onion is necessary otherwise the extra water will make the mixture more watery.
The frying oil must always be fresh otherwise the mixture will absorb the oil & be oily & horrible to eat.
Weigh the codfish when it's still salted & not hydrated.