Oysters Rock Your Fella
4 ckosher salt (a little more or less depending on the size of your sheet pan)
2 slicebacon, thick cut
1 cspinach, fresh
1/4 cshallots, diced
1 csauvignon blanc
2 Tbsplemon juice, fresh
2 Tbspheavy cream
3/4 ccold butter, unsalted
1 tsphot sauce
1 Tbspparsley, freshly chopped
1 Tbspparmesan cheese, grated
·salt and white pepper to taste
How to Make Oysters Rock Your Fella
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a wide mouth bowl. Shuck the oysters over the bowl and drain all of the oyster liqueur into it, catching any stray sand or shell in the strainer.
- Pour the kosher salt into a sheet pan and nestle the oysters down into the salt.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet set over medium heat until it’s almost crisp, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate. When it’s cool enough to touch, dice the bacon and set it aside.
- Roughly chop the spinach and sauté in the rendered bacon fat until it’s wilted and all the water has evaporated.
- Combine the shallots, Sauvignon Blanc, and lemon juice in a saucepan over high heat and reduce by half.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a slow boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the butter, a little bit at a time, whisking constantly. Don’t add more butter until what you’ve already added is thoroughly combined. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the hot sauce, parsley, spinach, crumbled bacon and the reserved oyster liqueur. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Evenly distribute the sauce onto the oysters and top with the Parmesan cheese. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes, or until the Parmesan cheese starts to brown.
- Serve immediately with a loaf of crusty bread, a lemon wedge and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.