Layered Shrimp Appetizer
This will be a hit with your family and friends! I promise.
Wish I could tell you where I got it. (My mother claims I taught her how to cook. I sure didn't get it from her, but I do think I improved the dish slightly from it's original version.) I think I got this recipe from a cookbook a long time ago.
Let me know how you and your family like this scrumptious shrimp recipe, ok?
- 12 ounces
- to 1 pound of salad shrimp, cooked and peeled (i buy it frozen from walmart), set aside 2 tbsp. of the shrimp
- (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp
- sour cream
- 2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp
- lemon juice (real lemon juice brand or squeezed from a fresh lemon)
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic or 2 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1 (12 oz) bottle
- shrimp cocktail sauce
- 1/2 c
- green onions, chopped
- 1/2 c
- green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups
- finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- *optional* half jar of pimentos for added color and appeal
- *optional* 1/2 cup of sliced ripe olives
How to Make Layered Shrimp Appetizer
- 1In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and garlic. Mix with an electric mixer until all is thoroughly blended together.
- 2Spread the mixture on bottom of a glass 8X8X2 (or slightly larger) serving dish.
- 3Pour and spread bottle of Shrimp Cocktail Sauce atop the cheese and spice, herb mix.
Next, drain any excess water from your clean, cooked, thawed shrimp and place on top of the cocktail sauce.
- 4Now add all fresh vegetables atop your shrimp and top off with the finely shredded mozzarella cheese mixed with pimento and sliced ripe olives. (I do not usually use the pimento and ripe olives unless it for a fancy party.)
GARNISH with the reserved shrimp sprinkled atop the Mozzarella dish. (Please do not forget this step because some people are allergic to shellfish.)
Chill and serve with Ritz Crackers or crackers of your choice.
If you do not have Shrimp Cocktail Sauce, but you have chili sauce, substitute it and serve with tortilla chips, corn chips etc...