Carmarthen Bay Mussels with Cardamom and Coconut
2 lbfresh mussels
4 ozunsalted butter
1 clovegarlic, peeled and finely chopped
2shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 cdry white wine
1 largebay leaf
3green cardamom pods, cracked open
2/3 ccoconut milk (canned)
·chopped cilantro, to taste
How to Make Carmarthen Bay Mussels with Cardamom and Coconut
- Prepare the mussels. Pull away the hair-like strands (beard) around the shell and scrub with a stiff brush under cold running water.
- Melt 2 oz. of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, shallots, cardamom pods and bay leaf. Cook until garlic and shallots are softened.
- Add the wine and bring mixture to the boil. Add the mussels, set heat to high and cover the saucepan. Cook 2-3 minutes for 2-3 minutes, until the mussels open. Discard any mussels that remain closed after cooking.
- Strain mussels in a colander, reserving cooking liquid. Place mussels in a large bowl, and return cooking liquid to pan. Return to heat. Add the remaining butter and coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Pour the mixture over the mussels, top with the chopped cilantror and serve immediately