DUCK SOUP ( CZARNINA )
If you do not know where to purchase a duck, contact a local farmer or butcher.
NOTE: This recipe calls for 4 cups duck blood, but I use 4 cups chicken broth. If you use duck blood be sure to add 1/2 cup vinegar to duck blood to prevent coagulation.
- 1 (4 ) lb
- duck whole
- 4 c
- chicken broth, low salt
- 8 c
- 1 tsp
- stalk celery cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 sprig(s)
- parsley chopped
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- whole allspice berries
- whole cloves
- 16 oz
- pitted prunes
- 1/2 c
- tart apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh lemon juice
How to Make DUCK SOUP ( CZARNINA )
- 1Cover whole duck with water in a large stock pot. Add salt and bring to a boil. Skim off foam.
- 2Place celery, parsley, allspice, and cloves in a cheese cloth bag add to stock pot. Cover and cook over low heat until meat is tender about 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Remove cheese cloth bag from stock pot. Remove duck, discard bones. Cut up duck meat and return to broth.
- 4Mix in prunes, raisins and apple simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5In a medium bowl, beat flour, sugar into cream until smooth beat in chicken broth graduly. Add1/2 cup hot duck to broth mixing and blending thoroughly.
- 6Pour mixture slowly back into stock pot stirring constantly until soup comes to a boil
- 7Season to taste with salt, pepper, lemon juice.