Jan's Bruschetta Topping
- 1 stick
- 3 lb
- sweet onions (vidalia, peru sweet, whatever is in season)
- 1/4 c
- sugar (this helps the caramelization process)
- large ball of garlic
- 1 jar(s)
- (6 oz.) finely chopped green olives, drained
- 1 jar(s)
- (6 oz.) finely chopped black olives, drained
- 7 can(s)
- (14.5 oz.) petite-diced canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp
- dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp
- dried basil (freshly purcahsed and good quality)
- 1 Tbsp
- dried oregano (freshly purcahsed and good quality)
- olive oil for garlic ball
- red pepper flakes, if you like yours spicy
How to Make Jan's Bruschetta Topping
- 1Caramelize onions in butter with the sugar, low heat, for 50 minutes or until Carmel colored. Don’t burn, just till they turn that beautiful caramel color.
This is a slow process, but it is one of the secrets to the exceptional flavor that is produced.
***Get boiling bath going if you are going to place in canning jars.
- 2Roasted Garlic
While the onions are caramelizing, take a large ball of garlic, snip off the very tips of the cloves. You do not have to separate the cloves, leave together as a ball. Place on a large piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Scrunch up the foil to cover the garlic completely. Place in a pan and roast for 60 minutes in a 375 oven. When roasted, you can just squeeze out the garlic like a paste. This again, is a slow process, but this is the other secret ingredient to the exceptional flavor.
- 3The rest is easy. Just add and mix!
In a large pot, add onions, garlic paste, olives, tomatoes,vinegar, basil and oregano. Taste and adjust to your liking. You can add some red pepper flakes for a little "heat" if you like.
- 4Mix all, heat through, place in 3 Quart jars. (you may have a little left over for a taste-trial. mmmmmm!) Refrigerate, freeze or process in boiling bath water with lids for at least 10 minutes.
- 5To serve:
Place rounds of GOOD French/Italian bread on a cookie sheet. Drizzle good Olive oil over one side of bread, place in a 350 oven for 5 minutes, then turn over slices and repeat so both sides are golden in color. Place a healthy portion of the Brochette topping on each round. Options: you can add anchovies and/or Parmesan cheese, and/or a thin slice of a tomato on the top and place back in oven for another 5 minutes. Anchovies can be added at the table as not everyone is a fan, but they sure are good!!
- 6****Makes an exceptional homemade gift from your kitchen that, I assure you, no one will be able to duplicate since I have spent my lifetime of cooking to perfect this recipe. You will not find it in any cookbook. I share this recipe only with my dearest friends. Enjoy!!
I live to cook, Jan Fanning
- 7Sample Gift Tag:
Slice French bread into half-inch rounds.
Place on baking sheet. Drizzle good Olive
Oil on both sides. Bake in 350 oven for 10
Minutes. Top with a Tbs. of Bruschetta mixture.
Can add Cheese, Anchovies, Capers, whatever…
Back in oven for another 7 minutes!