B,L,T, and Mayo Appetizers
I use small tomatoes (about golf ball size)for appetizers but often serve two medium tomatoes as a luncheon dish for one. Delicious!
My daughter, son, friends and other family members really enjoy them, too.
- 2 medium
- tomatoes, washed and cored, drained. or
- dozen small tomatoes(golf ball size), washed,cored and drained.
- 1/2 c
- hellman's mayo (the real mayo)!
- 6 strips
- crisp-cooked bacon, drained.
- 6 small
- frilly lettuce leaves or tips of small romaine lettuce
How to Make B,L,T, and Mayo Appetizers
- 11. When using the medium tomatoes make a well by removing most of the pulp and seed but keeping the outer portion of the tomato intact. With smaller tomatoes you do the same. Salt and pepper the interior of tomatoes to boost flavor.
- 2Use a teaspoon measure to place mayo in tomato cavity...for medium tomatoes I use 2 tsps. mayo for each...but use as much as YOU prefer.
- 3Cut clean lettuce so it fits into tomato like a pretty frilled sprig...you want it to show above the rim of the tomato about an inch or so.
- 4Finally, break bacon strips into 3inch pieces and tuck into filled tomatoes. Put in as many as you like of the bacon pieces...you want to be able to TASTE it!
- 5This recipe is NOT precise...use different types of bacon (peppered, thick cut, brown sugar cured...or even Pancetta, if you like it). Lettuces come in so many textures and colors, pick one you like...or use a variety...like cos, butter lettuce, oak leaf types or crispy romaine. Be creative and don't be afraid to add your own twist. COOKING IS AN ART FORM! Express yourself... and happy cooking!