Makes 18 pups, but they freeze well.
- 12 oz
- can or bottle of beer, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- .25 ounce package active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 c
- bread flour
- 1/4 c
- unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large
- egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp
- 10 c
- 2/3 c
- baking soda
- 1/4 c
- kosher salt, divided or to taste
- hot dogs
How to Make Pretzel Pups
- 1Heat the beer in a saucepan over low heat until it reaches 110 degrees F (45 degrees C). Combine the warm beer, sugar, and 2 teaspoons kosher salt in a bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top, and let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam.
- 2Place the bread flour and butter in a bread machine. Add the yeast mixture, then select the dough cycle.
- 3Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or grease with vegetable oil. Beat the egg yolk in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon water; set aside.
- 4Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat, and stir in baking soda until dissolved. Meanwhile, turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface, and roll into a 10x20-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 18 1-inch wide strips, then wrap each strip tightly around a hot dog, pinching the edges to seal, and leaving the ends open. About half an inch of hot dog should peek out of each end of the dough wrapper.
- 5Drop 2 or 3 dough-wrapped hot dogs into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Arrange the boiled hot dogs on the prepared baking sheets. Brush each pretzel dog with the egg yolk mixture, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup salt.
- 6Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.