You must use the port wine. It is available near the sherry and dessert wines in the wine section of the grocery store. Buy the cheapest bottle you can find. I keep my leftovers in the fridge and have found it fun to add to other beef sauces and stews.
Be sure to make enough! Enjoy at your holiday parties!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 1/2 lbground beef- 90/10
1 largesweet ( vidalia) onion- chopped finely
1 cpepperidge farm herb stuffing
4 Tbspworchester sauce
1 cport wine (red)- do not omit this ingredient!
scanthot sauce to taste (optional)- just a couple of drops.- try without first.
How to Make Cocktail Meatballs
- Mix meat, onions, stuffing and milk. Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Place on baking pan with rack underneath if available. If not, OK to bake in a glass or metal dish and drain when removed from oven
- Bake at 350 degrees for approx 45 mins. Drain fat.
- While meatballs are baking mix all ingredients for the sauce in a large pot on the stove. Bring to a boil. When meatballs are done, add to the sauce. Sauce will be thin, but will thicken with time. No need to continue boiling, but you can certainly keep warm on the stove, just stir to prevent sticking.
- I generally serve these in a chafing dish or small crockpot with toothpicks. You can make them ahead of time, and even freeze for those unexpected guests that might pop in around the holidays!
It is hard to say how many it will serve. Men seem to go crazy over these! I usually always double the recipe, as my kids love them as leftovers for a snack!