How to Make Watermelon Rind Pickles
- Preparing the Rind:
Trim the green skin and pink flesh from the rind. Cut into inch pieces.
- Dissolve the salt in 8 cups of water and pour over the rind. Let stand 5 to 6 hours. Drain, rinse and drain again.
- Cover with cold water and let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
- Sprinkle the ginger over the rind; cover with water and cook until fork tender. Drain.
- Preparing Pickles:
Combine the sugar, lemon juice and 6 cups water in a large pot or Dutch oven. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the rind and boil gently for 30 minutes or until syrup thickens.
- Add sliced lemon and cook until the rind is transparent.
- Pack hot into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 20 minutes in boiling water bath.