Stromboli, from Caroline's Kitchen
- 1 box
- 17 oz. puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 1 tsp
- 1 lb
- thinly sliced cooked smoked deli ham
- 1 lb
- thinly sliced deli hard salami
- 1 c
- shredded mozzerella cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1 c
- shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
How to Make Stromboli, from Caroline's Kitchen
- 1Remove puff pastry from box and wrapper and separate into two blocks and let thaw for about 40 minutes.
- 2Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Beat egg and water together in a small bowl.
- 3Place one thawed pastry sheet on lightly floured pastry board and unfold. Roll out sheet to about a 12 x 16 inch sheet.
- 4Begin at the bottom of one of the short sides and place half of the ham slices side by side or slightly overlaping, all the way to the within about 2 inches of the other short side. Leave about a 1 inch margin along the long sides.
- 5Next add 1/2 the salami slices on top of the ham slices in the same way as you did the ham.
- 6Using 1/2 of each cheese, sprinkle cheese over meats.
- 7Roll pastry up like a jelly roll, beginning at the end where you began your ham. Crimp or tuck ends under roll and place seam side down on a baking sheet. (I like to use nonstick foil)
- 8Repeat with second sheet of pastry, then brush each one well with the egg wash.
- 9Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10Remove from baking sheet and let cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.
1. Ham and pineapple and cheese. (use a bit of pizza sauce on pastry sheet before adding ham.
2. Pepperoni and cheese with pizza sauce.
3. Ham and swiss cheese.
4. Sliced beef, or prosciutto, or sausage, or country ham or bologna, or sliced turkey. Or any combination of ingredients make delicious stromboli. Let me know what you come up with.