Ricotta with Oregano and White Pepper
You may also make paneer this way, but you would form into a rectangular shape, cut into cubes, and fry it. Add to your favorite curry and cook like tofu.
How to Make Ricotta with Oregano and White Pepper
- Heat milk until almost at a boil, then add lemon juice or vinegar.
- The curds should start to pull away from the whey. Add the pinch of salt.
- Boil and stir for 30 seconds. Turn off heat and cover with a towel. Let sit for 2 hours.
- Then pour through a cheesecloth catching the curd in the cloth and catching the whey in a bowl.
- Save your whey. You can use it for hundreds of things. I am currently using it for bread baking and mysost (Norwegian cheese made from caramelized cow's milk whey).
- I like to rinse my curds to get rid of the lemon or vinegar taste, but it isn't necessary.
- Now you can make you decision if you want pressed ricotta or the loose kind you are used to at the grocers.
- For the pressed, dip a cheesecloth in whey, wrap your curds into the desired shape, really condensed; press hard. You can make a circular form in a bowl or a rectangular in a bread pan. Add a weight and let sit overnight. (a heavy pot or bowl for circular or a brick for rectangular)