Polynesian Cheese Ball
I just found out that this recipe will be in their Real Women of Philadelpia cookbook coming out ths fall.
I just received a copy signed by Paula Deen!!! What a thrill!. The recipe was changed into a cheese log and the name is Polynesian Cheese Log. it is on page 22. The Book is The Real Women of Philadelphia season one.
That's quite a thrill for a lil ole country girl like me.
Dippers for this are crispy wheat crackers, pineapple spears, or vanilla wafers.
- 16 oz
- philadelphia cream cheese with pineapple
- 1/4 c
- sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 c
- crushed pineapple, drained thoroughly
- 2 medium
- green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp
- seasoned salt
- 1 Tbsp
- rum extract, or 2 teaspoons of run, the real stuff
- 2 c
- macadamia nuts, divided
How to Make Polynesian Cheese Ball
- 1A trick to keep the pineapple from moving,is take a slice to flatten one side. I usually trim off leaves that are not pretty, and use the best side of the pineapple facing up.
- 2Soften cream cheese to room temp.
- 3Mix all together well, reserving one cup macadamia nuts to roll ball in. If using as a dip, like here, just use 1 cup of nuts.
- 4If making a cheese ball, form 1 or 2 balls, roll in nuts, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour before serving. Overnight is better.
- 5Another nice idea was given by the appetizer's host's daughter. She put it into a pineapple half as just a dip, and it was so pretty that way. In that case you wouldn't want to roll it in macadamia nuts, the cup of nuts you reserved, sprinkle on top for garnish.
- 6You can more or less ingredients if you like, to your taste. I have even used rum instead of rum extract.
The flavors are really best if made the day before.