My Oven Fried Cheese Balls
1 cfrozen chopped onions and peppers, defrosted
4 oz(about 1 cup) shredded 50% cheddar cheese, such as gabot
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cwhole wheat flour
1 1/2 cwhole wheat panko bread crumbs
2 largeegg whites
·nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cunsweetened applesauce
1 tspchopped pickled jalapenos (optional)
1 tspdijon mustard
How to Make My Oven Fried Cheese Balls
- Preheat your oven to 450
- Place a wire rack on a foil-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl,mix to pepper and onion mixture with the cheese and cornstarch.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Form this mixture into 8 balls, squeezing out any excess liquid. (the balls will seem loose)
- Transfer the balls to a plate and freeze for at least 15 minutes or until firm.
- Put the flour in a shallow dish. Put the pando in another shallow dish.
- In a medium bowl, whip the ege whites with a whisk until they are extremely foamy but not quite holding peaks.
- Remove the cheee balls from the freezer. Working in batches, dredge the cheese ball in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Add the cheese balls to the egg whites and toss to coat them competely.
- Add the cheese balls, a few pieces at a time. to the dish of panko and coat completly.
- Spread the balls on the wire rack and spray them lightly with cooking spray.
- Place in oven and bake until the reading is golden brown and crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the applesauce, jalapenos (optional) and mustard in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Remove the cheese balls from the oven and serve with the sauce.