Irish Cheddar Fondue with Stout and Whiskey
Since then, I have made this up several times with several different groups of people and it has not lasted very long. It is always a good thing when some is found scraping the bowl and asking for more.
- 4 c
- shredded irish cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 medium
- cloves garlic, finely minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 12 oz
- irish stout beer
- 2 Tbsp
- irish whiskey
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground mustard powder
How to Make Irish Cheddar Fondue with Stout and Whiskey
- 1Toss the shredded cheese with the cornstarch in a large bowl and set aside.
- 2Melt the butter in a large saucepan or saucier over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant and just beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Pour in the stout and whiskey, stir in salt and mustard powder. When the sauce begins to simmer, reduce heat to medium low.
- 3Add one (1) handful of the cheese and cornstarch mixture to the pot and whisk until the cheese is completely melted. Continue adding handfuls of the cheese mixture to the pot, stirring until each addition is melted before adding the next addition of cheese; this will take 2 to 3 minutes. When all of the cheese has been melted, continue to cook and stir until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the fondue to a bowl and serve immediately with cubed bread, sliced apples, or leftover corned beef as dippers.