This is a tasty appetizer or side dish - very easy to prepare! If you want to serve it in one ceramic dish, it should be about 20 - 25 cm diameter and 5 cm high or you may serve it in small individual ceramic bowls.
Don't forget to serve a crusty bread to sop up all the lovely juices from the olive oil and tomatoes.
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes
- 300 g feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
How to Make Greek Bouyourdi
- 1Cut the tomatoes into 1cm slices.
- 2Put 1 tbsp olive oil in the ceramic bowl or bowls and place a layer of tomatoes on top of the oil.
- 3Sprinkle a little salt, but not too much as the feta is salty, then spread 1/3 of the feta crumbled on top.
- 4Sprinkle 1/3 of the chili on top, then add 1 tbsp olive oil and add the tomatoes, salt, feta and chili as before.
- 5Add another tbsp of olive oil and once more add layers of tomato, feta and chili.
- 6Add a final tbsp of olive oil on top and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 – 40 minutes.