Fresh Tomato Soup with a Touch of Orange
4 lbripe plum or assorted tomatoes
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1 largeonion, chopped fine
3 Tbspminced garlic
2 Tbsptomato paste
1/2 cfresh orange juice
4 cchicken broth
1/8 tspground cloves
·salt and pepper to taste
1orange zested for garnish
How to Make Fresh Tomato Soup with a Touch of Orange
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line pans with foil, sprinkle with olive oil. Arrange thickly sliced tomatoes on them and bake 2 hours.
- Place oil in a large pot, add the onions and saute about 10 min. Add the garlic and cook an additional 3 min.** Be careful not to burn or scorch garlic.**
- Add the tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer partially covered.
- After 15-20 soup will start to thicken, remove from heat. **REMOVE the tomato skins as best you can**
- Cool soup and then run through a food processor. Strain the soup through a fine mesh colander and then let it chill in refrigerator.
- * If you prefer the soup served hot, skip above chilling and heat slightly on stove.
- Top with orange zest and croutons.
- You can serve this in bowls, ramekins or shot glasses. I have a picture above with the shot glasses and it makes a really elegant and impressive appetizer.