Chevre and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
24large button mushrooms
2 Tbspolive oil
1/4 cfinely chopped onion
4 clovefinely chopped garlic
1/2 lbsausage, casing removed (Italian or breakfast)
8 ozChevre or cream cheese
1/4 cParmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cGruyere cheese, grated
1/2 tspblack pepper
How to Make Chevre and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt.
- Pop out the stems and finely chop.
- Set the caps on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Add the oil to a medium skillet and add the chopped stems, onions, and garlic. Cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and place in medium mixing bowl.
- Brown sausage in skillet, breaking it apart into small pieces as it cooks.
- Remove from heat and place in the bowl with the garlic and onion. Cool.
- When sausage mixture has cooled, add the three kinds of cheese and both peppers. Mix well.
- Taste and add salt or more pepper as needed.
- Gently stuff each mushroom cap with a heaping spoonful of the cheese mixture.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes or until mushrooms are piping hot and liquid seeps out from under them.
- Brush tops one last time with melted butter just before plating.
- Garnish with chives, chopped parsley, or a little grated Parmesan.
- There always is extra stuffing. Save and use in scrambled eggs the following morning, awesome.