BLACK FOREST SHORTBREAD
Recipe & photo: Germanfoods.org
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter
- 1 clove
- garlic, squeezed through a garlic press
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 pinch
- ground red pepper
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 4 oz
- finely shredded german emmentaler cheese (can substitute swiss)
- 4 oz
- finely diced german black forest ham
How to Make BLACK FOREST SHORTBREAD
- 1Combine butter, garlic, salt and cayenne in a large bowl and beat at medium speed with a mixer until well combined. Beat in flour. Stir in cheese and ham.
- 2Turn dough out onto wax paper and shape into 2 6-inch logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze up to one month, if needed.
- 3When ready to bake, allow the logs to thaw on the counter for about 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut logs into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place slices on baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.