- 5-6 small
- golden beets, scrubbed and ends trimmed
- 3 Tbsp
- 1-2 small
- lemons, juice of (i used meyer lemon but standard lemons will work)
- salt, to taste
- ground cumin
- 2-3 clove
- garlic, peeled
- 3 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- sumac or za'atar (or cayenne or paprika if you don't have the former)
- fresh cilantro or fresh italian parsley
- olive oil for finishing
How to Make Roasted Golden Beet Hummus
- 1If the beets are medium size cut in half-if small, leave whole. *Wrap up the beets in aluminum foil and roast for 1 hour at 375 degrees until very soft. Set aside to cool briefly.
*Note: you can also roast the whole garlic cloves with the beets if desired. They won't take as long to roast and you'll have to remove them from the oven after about 30 minutes of roasting time.
- 2If desired, peel the beets (I don't). Cut into chunks and place the beets in a food processor along with the rest of the hummus ingredients. PULSE to desired consistency adding more olive oil or tahini for smoother hummus.
- 3Now taste test and adjust. I had to add more lemon juice (juice of 1 1/2 lemons in total) to help balance the sweetness of the beets.
- 4Scrap the hummus into a serving bowl or onto a platter. Garnish with za'atar or sumac, cilantro or parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Serve at room temperature.