- 2 lb
- raw shrimp, deveined and shelled, 16-20 size
- 8 oz
- rondele or macedonian feta (the softer, creamier style) or chevre
- 2 bunch
- fresh basil
- 1 lb
- proscuitto or speck (i prefer a smoked version of either)
- 1 c
- fig balsamic vinegar
How to Make OMG! Stuffed shrimp
- 1Take one tsp of the cheese of your choice and form into a 1 inch long 'cigar'. Place the cheese in the 'pocket' of the shrimp. Pull the edges of the shrimp together.
- 2Wrap each shrimp with a fresh basil leaf.
- 3Take a piece of prosciutto/speck and slice it long-ways into two. Take one piece and wrap it around each shrimp, starting from the thicker part and working down to the tail. At this time you may want to secure the prosciutto/speck with a toothpick.
- 4Finish stuffing and wrapping the rest of the shrimp. They can easily be done the day before or right before guests arrive.
- 5At this point, I take the fig balsamic vinegar and start reducing it to half or until it becomes thick as syrup. Take off heat and put aside. You can cool and put it into a drizzle bottle if you like.
- 6Fire up your grill, or even a good cast iron pan if you are cooking inside. I like to lightly brush the grills/pan with veggie oil to keep the prosciutto/speck from sticking.
- 7Cook the shrimp until the grey begins to change to pink on the one side, then flip and cook 2 minutes more until no grey remains. Then take off the heat IMMEDIATELY, you don't want to over cook these lovelies! On a nice platter, arrange the shrimp and drizzle with the reduced balsamic. Serve right away, and remember to take one yourself before the hoards make them disappear magically!
- 8Option: I like to crisp fry in a little oil, leaves of basil. I drain, then arrange on the serving platter with the shrimp as a little extra.