Asian Shrimp Appetizers
Mary Anne Looby
1 1/2 lbpeeled and devained shrimp
2 slicefresh ginger
5 Tbspasian sesame oil (also called dark sesame)
3 Tbspcooking sherry
3 Tbspsoy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsphoney
1 1/2 Tbspsesame seeds
1 Tbspthai sweet chile sauce (optional)
1/2 tspchinese five-spice powder
2 clovegarlic, flattened
5 bunchbelgium endive
How to Make Asian Shrimp Appetizers
- This can all be done the day before you plan to serve this app. Mix everything except the shrimp and Belgium endive in a pot on medium heat until everything is well blended. Let cool for a while in the fridge.
- Clean the Belgium endive by separating the leaves of the bulb and washing. With a sharp knife remove a slice from the bottom of each leaf where it is tough. If any of the leaves have brown spots set aside and do not use. Save for another dish. You should have 30 to 50 nice firm leaves. Place them on a clean tea towel or paper towels, if you use them, to dry. Once dry they can be placed in zip lock bags or any airtight containers till needed.
- Now that the marinade is cooled down pour it over the shrimp in a bowl large enough for you to move it around. I use my hands and just make sure all the shrimp has been coated. You can then cover the bowl an place in fridge or you can put the shrimp in a zip lock bag that can be tossed around occasionally to move the marinade. I don't like to clutter my fridge up with bowls etc.
- The day of your party or event remove everthing from fridge, if you have an indoor grill, remove shrimp from marinade and grill on hot grill till they turn pink and are done. If you do not have a grill place the shrimp in a sauté pan and sauté over med high heat until done. place the marinade in another pot and heat on med high until it starts to boil turn the heat down and let it simmer until it cooks down and thickens a bit.
- If you have a food processor place the shrimp in it and give it a quick chop. You want it to look like a small dice. If you don't have a processor you can chopped by hand (this is what I used to do until arthritis got the better of my thumbs), place the shrimp in a bowl and pour the marinade over it and give it a good turn or two to mix.
Once it is cool fill each endive leave with the mix and place on trays to pass. Place in fridge until ready to pass.