Spring Hill Ranch's Armadillo Turds
PS: We've used chorizo on these but it is a little too strong to blend with the other flavors.
- 4 oz
- cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c
- (about 2 ounces) finely grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- chopped fresh cilantro (or a healthy pinch of dry cilantro flakes)
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp
- kosher salt
- 6 medium
- fresh jalapeño chiles
- 2 lb
- bulk spicy breakfast or hot italian sausage
How to Make Spring Hill Ranch's Armadillo Turds
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the center position and preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- 2In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, cilantro, cumin and salt until they are well blended. Set aside.
- 4Using about 1/4-1/3 cup of the sausage at a time, pat it into a 3-inch circle. Place a stuffed jalapeño quarter in the center of the sausage. Wrap the sausage around the stuffed jalapeño until it is completely covered, and form it into an egg shape.
- 5Place the sausage-wrapped jalapeños about an inch apart on your prepared baking sheet. Bake them for 15-20 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked. For additional browning on top, you can place the sheet under the broiler for 2-5 minutes. Serve as they are or with buttermilk dressing, queso or salsa.