Scrumptious Shrimp Wontons
Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a great party appetizer! There are a few steps, but these are not very hard to put together. The filling is fabulous and the bit of sesame oil is a nice touch of added flavor. I dipped them in a bit of sweet chili sauce... oh they were good! We steamed them this time. But, next time, I'm going to try them fried. The Test Kitchen
1 lbraw shrimp - diced fine
1 can(s)bamboo shoots (4 oz) - diced fine
1 TbspChinese cooking wine
1 clovegarlic - minced fine
1 1/2 tspsesame oil
1/4 tspwhite pepper
2 Tbspcorn starch
1 pkgsquare wonton noodle wrappers
How to Make Scrumptious Shrimp Wontons
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a non-reactive bowl and mix well - you may need to get dirty and use your fingers to get the proper consistency :)!
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow marinade to set.
- Place one wonton wrapper in front of you on a 'diamond' angle - so one of the points is pointing directly at you.
- Add a small dollop of the shrimp mixture (a bit bigger than a quarter) to the center of your wonton wrapper. Do not overfill or your wontons will be hard to seal properly.
- Dipping your index finger in water, trace the exposed edges of the wonton wrapper. This is what will make it stick together. Try not to get it too wet, just enough to moisten it.
- Fold the edge of the wonton wrapper closest to you (that diamond point) over the dollop of shrimp and join it with the corresponding point on the other edge, pinching the wrapper together firmly.
- Turn the triangle pouch around so the center point is once again facing you
- Moisten the top edge of the right point of the triangle, then gently bend the left and right points together firmly pinching the left point on top of the right.
- Repeat until you have used all the shrimp mixture - about 30 dumplings.
- Cooking dumplings:
- If Deep Frying - cook in hot vegetable or peanut oil for 4-5 mins or until golden brown.
- If Boiling - place the dumplings into boiling water (with a drizzle of sesame oil) for about 5 mins from fresh or 8-10 mins from frozen.
- If Steaming - about 5-6 minutes from fresh or 10 mins from frozen.