☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 smallrennet tablet
1/4 cbottled water1
1 gal2 % milk
2 tspcitric acid
How to Make Mozzarella Cheese
- Crush(regular-all same size) rennet tablet in the 1/4th cup of bottled water and stir.Now use a heavy duty medium size steel pot to make your cheese in.(Aluminum or cast iron pots will NOT DO).ALSO while you are making cheese,DO NOT DISCARD ANY WHEY)you will use it later on.
- Put milk into pot and sprinkle the citric acid(which I believe is vitamin C)next heat your milk to 88 degrees F.Use a cooking thermometer.Milk will begin to curdle.Slowly add in rennet in water to the milk and stirring until milk reaches 105 degrees.Turn off heat now.
- Large curds will begin to appear and seperate fron the whey(clear greenish liquid).With slotted spoon or mesh strainer scoop curd into a large glass bowl.If still too liquid let sit a few minutes.Press curd gently with your hand.-pour off as much whey as possible.Microwave curds on high 1 minute.Drain off whey.With spoon press curds into a ball until cool.
- Microwave 2 more times for 35 seconds each time.Draining whey off,work into a ball.In the meantime heat up all this whey you have been draining off to 175 degrees F.When cheese is cool enough to touch.knead it like dough until smooth.(When it stretch
,s like taffy candy then its done.)Knead and stretch and stretch.
- If it is difficult to stretch then dip into heated up whey a few seconds.Then pick it up and stretch it into a log rope,fold over and stretch again.When smooth and shiny it is ready to eat.
- The reason I did not add salt to this recipe is that to store this cheese,you store it in 2 tsp salt to 1 cup water.Please Enjoy!You are now a cheese maker.