Simons Family Italian Beef Sandwiches
When Carms in chicago went out of business we could no longer get my husbands family favorite Italian beef so I developed this recipe. The family swears this is as good maybe even better than Carms was.
3 clovegarlic, crushed
3 lbtop sirloin,top round, or bottom round
1 Tbspknorr broth mix, the refrigerated kind, or 4 cubes beef boullion
1 tspcrushed red pepper
3 mediumgreen pepper, cut in strips
1 1/2 tspitalian seasoning
1 tspgarlic and pepper
2 tspadobo seasoning
How to Make Simons Family Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Combine garlic and pepper and adobo seasoning. Rub evenly over roast. Let sit about 30 minutes at room temp. Place roast, fat side up, on rack in roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer. Roast, unvovered, in a 325 degree oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thermometer registers 145 degrees. (medium rare).
- Meanwhile, skim fat from drippings; discard fat. Pour drippings into dutch oven. Stir in water, bouillon, itaian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling. Add green pepper strips; reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until green peppers are crisp-tender. With slotted spoon, remove green pepper strips; keep war.
- With a very sharp knife or electric knife, slice meat very thin. Using a meat slicer is even better. Add to broth mixture and heat through.
- Split rolls ( Rolls are best soft, fluffy, high glueten rolls sliced lengthwise but hinged on one side or italian loaves cut widthwise and into portions.) Horizontally. Place on plate. Spoon broth over each half. Arrange beef on bottom half. Place pepper strips or banana pepper strips over beef, if desired; cover with to half of roll. Serve with individual dishes of broth mixture for dipping.
- NOTE: you may replace green pepper for sweet red peppers for a diffrent taste.