Stars and Stripes Pie
- 1 box
- (15 oz) refrigerated ready-to-use pie crusts
- 3 can(s)
- cherry or strawberry pie filling
- 1 can(s)
- (21 oz) blueberry pie filling
- 1 large
- egg, slightly beaten in a cup
- 3 Tbsp
- sanding or coarse (crystal) sugar
- *you also need: 11/2- to 2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter
*TIP: I USED A SHALLOW PIE PLATE AND USED 2 CANS OF STRAWBERRY FILING AND 3/4 CAN OF BLUE BERRY. SAVED A LITTLE MONEY THAT WAY!
How to Make Stars and Stripes Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F. Roll a pastry round into a 12-in. circle. (Use a small amount of flour on the board and rolling pin to help the dough not stick.) Place rolled dough into a 9-in. pie plate, letting edges overhang. Fold the over hanging edges in half. Then make a border along the edge. Brush the beaten egg lightly along the crust and sprinkle with sugar.
- 2Place two cans of the cherry or strawberry pie filling into a large bowl. Drain the third can of filling, then add those cherries to the rest of the filling.
NOTE: If your using the shallow pie plate then you will use all of the 2 cans of the cherry or strawberry pie filling without draining them.
- 6Brush stripes and stars with beaten egg, then sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- 7Lay out your dough strips. Start in middle of pie and place 3 long strips across the filling toward bottom edge. Take care to make sure they are evenly spaced. Cut remaining 2 strips into 4-in.-long pieces. Lay over cherry filling on upper right corner. Carefully press ends of strips into edge of crust or you can just lay them edge to edge like I did. Place dough stars on upper left corner of pie.