1 - 1/4 cchicken stock
3/4 cflour for dredging and thickening
·salt and pepper
2 lbbeef round steak
1/2 cwhite onion, chopped
1green pepper, chopped
1/2 ccelery, chopped
1 can(s)crushed tomatoes (14 oz)
How to Make Swiss Steak
- Cut steak into individual portion sized pieces (about palm size)
- In a small bowl or cup whisk together chicken stock and 2 - 1/2 Tbsp. of flour and set aside
- Salt and pepper each piece of meat on both sides, then dredge in flour
- Brown meat in hot oil, a few pieces at a time. Use just enough oil to brown well. (2 Tbsp)
- Remove meat from skillet.
- Add chicken stock and flour mixture to pan drippings, stir well, scraping sides of the pan
- Remove from heat and scrape rue from pan into crock pot
- Add tomatoes and chopped vegetables to crock pot and stir.
- Add browned meat making sure to push meat down into the sauce.
- Cook on low for 4 hours. Serve with sauce spooned over top.