How to Make HOMEMADE SOUTHERN SAUSAGE GRAVY
- Brown sausage in a pan, breaking up and crumbling.
- Once the meat is fully browned, scoop it out with a slotted spoon, leaving any drippings in the skillet.
- Add the butter or bacon fat to the same skillet and bring the pan up to medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until smooth, cooking for at least 5 minutes.
- Slowly begin whisking in the first two cups of milk until fully incorporated and mixture begins to bubble. This will provide thick gravy. Continue whisking in additional milk a little bit at a time, until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Grind some pepper directly into the gravy, add salt to taste, and return the sausage to the skillet.
- Stir to mix, Serve over your favorite biscuits!