Serving wine and cheese at a holiday party is a delicious way to greet guests. Charcheutie trays are all the rage right now. Seriously, how can they not be when you pair cheese, meat, fruit, nuts, crackers. But staring at the cheese counter guessing what types of cheeses to grab can be distressing. Then wondering what type of wine to grab can be even more overwhelming. We're here to help take some of the guesswork out of building a cheese board and what wine to serve.
Tips for Putting a Cheese Plate Together
- Cheese is broken out into four categories: aged, soft, firm/hard and blue. For variety, choose one from each group.
- Estimate 3-4 ounces of cheese per person.
- Let the cheese come to room temperature for around an hour before serving. If it's too cold, it will alter the flavor.
- Set out a knife for each cheese to avoid flavor cross-contamination when slicing.
- Add crackers, dried fruits and nuts to enjoy with bites of cheese.
Type of Cheese: Cheddar (Aged or Semi-Hard)
- Wine: Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay
- Meat: Prosciutto, Pepperoni
- Nuts/Fruit: Almonds, Walnuts, Apples, Grapes
Type of Cheese: Brie (Soft)
- Wine: Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Merlot
- Nuts/Fruit: Pecans, Cashews, Almonds, Apples, Dried Apricots
Type of Cheese: Goat (Soft)
- Wine: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Beaujolais
- Nuts/Fruit: Pistachios, Walnuts, Dried Cranberries, Figs
Type of Cheese: Parmesan (Firm/Hard)
- Wine: Pinot Noir, Chianti, Prosecco, Sangiovese
- Meat: Prosciutto, Soppressata
- Nuts/Fruit: Pistachios, Walnuts, Figs, Grapes
Type of Cheese: Gorgonzola (Blue)
- Wine: Riesling, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon
- Nuts/Fruit: Walnuts, Cashews, Figs, Dried Cranberries
Type of Cheese: Manchego (Firm/Hard)
- Wine: Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chianti, Chardonnay
- Nuts/Fruit: Almonds, Walnuts, Blackberries, Figs
Type of Cheese: Gruyere (Semi-Hard)
- Wine: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Merlot, Zinfandel
- Nuts/Fruit: Pecans, Figs, Apples
Type of Cheese: Gouda (Semi-Hard)
- Wine: Pinot Noir, Beaujolais, Chardonnay, Riesling
- Nuts/Fruit: Almonds, Apple, Fig, Plum
Type of Cheese: Swiss (Semi-Hard)
- Wine: Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Sauvignon Blanc
- Nuts/Fruit: Almonds, Pistachios, Dried Apricot, Figs