How to Make Italian Sausage Spaghetti Squash
- 1 3 to 4 lb spaghetti squash, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 1 can or jar garlic and herb pasta sauce, 24 oz
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 links raw hot Italian sausage (removed from their casings)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 8 oz sliced button mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan (separated)
Instructions1. Preheat oven to 400. Cut open a spaghetti squash and remove seeds.
2. Place halves on a cookie sheet. Brush the inside with olive oil.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Turn them face down in the pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
5. While the squash is cooking, work on the filling. Add the ground beef and sausage to a large skillet. While it’s cooking, break apart the sausage. Brown until the meat is completely cooked.
6. Remove the meat to a paper towel-lined plate.
7. In the same pan, cook the zucchini and mushrooms in the meat juices until tender (about 5 minutes).
8. Turn off the heat and return the meat to the pan with the veggies.
9. Next, add the garlic and herb pasta sauce. Mix together carefully.
10. When the squash is cooked remove it from the oven. Use a fork to pull the spaghetti strings from its shell (be careful not to damage the shells).
11. Add the squash to the pan with the meat and veggie sauce and mix together carefully. Cook at medium heat for about 10 minutes until the mixture is heated through.
12. Turn off the heat and add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese to the pan. Fold it into the filling.
13. Use a slotted spoon to fill the squash shells with the meat and veggie filling.
14. Reduce the oven temp to 350. Sprinkle the halves with the remaining cup of Parmesan.
15. Bake for 10 to 15 min and serve directly from the shells.