Grill the Perfect Vegetables
Prep TipsBefore you get started, here are tips for grilling vegetables.
- Dry vegetables completely before grilling.
- Brush the grill and lightly coat the vegetables with oil prior to place the vegetables down to prevent them from sticking to the grates.
- Cut veggies in a uniform size so they cook evenly.
- Vegetables are done when they get slight char marks and are fork tender.
- From 5 minutes to 50 minutes, every vegetable takes a different time to cook so keep an eye on them while cooking.
- To prevent smaller vegetables from falling through the grates, use a barbecue grill mat or thread them on metal skewers.
- Get creative with seasonings. Simple salt is all they need, but adjusting seasonings brings a different flavor to the veggies.
Best Vegetables to GrillBell Pepper
- Method A. Place the entire pepper on the grill. Grill about 15 - 20 minutes, turning every few minutes. When pepper is charred and soft, it's done.
- Method B. Cut pepper into thick slices or chunks. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side until soft.
- Peel corn making sure to remove the silk. Rinse corn and dry. Grill for about 12 minutes or until kernels have turned golden brown.
- Method A. Cut in half lengthwise, remove the choke with a spoon and slightly flatten to open up the leaves. Grill 15 minutes per side until tender.
- Method B. Cut the small out leaves and the top off the artichoke. Trim the sharp leaf points. Soak for 10 minutes in water and rinse. Steam for about 25 minutes. Once cooled, cut in half lengthwise and remove the choke. Place sliced side face down on the grill and cook until golden, about 5-10 minutes.
- Cut into 1/2 inch rings. Grill 3-5 minutes per side.
- Trim the tough end of asparagus. To prevent the stems from falling through, place stalks perpendicular to the grates. Grill 5-10 minutes, turning occasionally, depending on their thickness.
- Slice into 1/4 inch slices. Grill about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Place perpendicular on the grill. Grill 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Cut into slices - either long slices or circular medallions. Grill 4-6 minutes per side.
- Depending on the mushroom, cut in half or place entire mushroom on the grill. Grill 5 - 10 min per side until tender.
- Cut the tips and stems off, then slice in half. Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Method A. Peel the carrot and place on the grill. Grill for 15-20 minutes turning every 4-5 minutes.
- Method B. Peel carrots and cut into sticks. Place sticks on the grill perpendicular to the grate. Grill for 4 - 5 min per side until softened.
- Peel potatoes and cut, lengthwise, into 1/4 inch strips. Grill for about 5-6 minutes per side until fork tender.
If you really want to get adventurous, take a peek at our guide to grilling fruits. They make a perfect summertime dessert!