Thai Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 Tbsp
- coconut oil
- dried chilis. i dont know what kind i used. most any will do
- 2 can(s)
- full fat coconut milk
- 1 box
- chicken broth
- of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 stalk(s)
- lemongrass, cut into 3" pieces
- 4 Tbsp
- fish sauce (a flavoring found in asian sections of your store)
- 1 lb
- boneless chicken thighs.
- 1 c
- sliced mushrooms
- some chicken sausages or shrimp
- onion, thinly sliced
- lime, juiced
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- optional: tumeric, basil, spices of your choice.
- optional rice noodles or a side of rice
- fresh chopped cilantry and scallions for garnish.
- optional diced sweet potatoes or butternut squash
1In a large soup pot, heat the coconut oil and add the chilies, heating for 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and chicken broth and heat to boiling.
2Add the cut up chicken thighs, fish sauce, ginger, lemon grass and turmeric, if using and simmer for 10 minutes. (if adding sweet potatoes or butternut squash, cube them and precook a bit in a microwave oven. Then add to the soup to cook with the chicken).
3Add the shrimp or sausage, lime juice, mushrooms, onions and cherry tomatoes and simmer for 5 more minutes.
4You can try, at this point, to fish out the chilies, the lemon grass and the ginger slices. If you can find them...If not, someone will. You can add noodles at this point if you want. We didn't this time. I had rice on the side for my boys. They put a large scoop in the bottom of their soup bowls and ladled soup over it, then garnished them with cilantro and scallions. Dig in!