Hearty Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
My mother and grandmother would sit at the kitchen table, cutting and chopping the vegetables, for this wonderful soup. I loved coming home from school on a cold winter day, to this soup cooking on the stove top. Gee, I miss my mom and grandma, but this soup keeps their memories alive for me. My mom always served this soup with crackers, and we always had peanut butter on the table, to put on our crackers, as well. Enjoy!
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 lb
- chuck roast, trimmed of fat; but reserved, cut meat into bite size pieces
- carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large
- onion, peeled and diced
- celery ribs, cleaned and diced
- 2-3 small
- turnips, peeled and diced
- 3-4 medium
- potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 can(s)
- 15oz each, or fresh tomatoes
- 2 can(s)
- 15oz each, stewed tomatoes
- 1 can(s)
- 10-15oz, tomatoes and green chillies
- 1-2 small
- cans v8 juice (individual size)
- handfuls, fresh green beans, ends picked, beans cut in half
- ears corn, cleaned and cut from cob
- handfuls lentils for veg. soup. i use 1 pkg manischewiets vegetable soup mix and leave out the seasoning packet enclosed. if i can't find it, i use bob's red mill vegetable soup mix.
- 6 oz
- frozen baby lima beans
- 10ox box
- frozen brussels sprouts
- 10ox box
- frozen peas
- 10oz box
- frozen cut okra
- 1 tsp
- dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
1Have large soup pot heating on stovetop, drop reserved fat from roast into hot pot; cook until browned, then remove.
2Place meat pieces in pot; brown on both sides in rendered fat, may need additional oil to finish browning, all meat pieces.
3Add diced carrots, onion, celery, turnips and potatoes into soup pot with meat. Stir to get all ingredients mixed.
5Bring to a boil then turn heat down to simmer and cover with lid ajar. After soup has cooked about 1 hr. add brussels sprouts, okra and peas. Simmer until all vegetables, lentils and meat are tender.
6Check occasionally, stir to make sure nothing is sticking to bottom and there is enough broth; more water, V8 Juice or tomatoes can be added if needed or desired.