Sprouted Pasta Sauce with Spelt and Buckwheat Gemelli
Vegetarian Times Issue: March 1, 2009.
Sprouts may seem like a strange addition to a pasta dish, but hearty types such as sprouted lentils, peas, and chickpeas give this sauce body and flavor. called for equally hearty spelt and buckwheat gemelli, but you can use your favorite pasta shape as well
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 small
- leeks, white and light green parts chopped (2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 c
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c
- petite carrots
- 25-oz. jar pasta sauce, such as lucini spicy tuscan tomato
- 1 c
- spelt and buckwheat gemelli, such as eden organic
- 6-oz. pkg. or 2 cups crunchy bean sprouts, such as lentils, peas, and adzuki beans
- 1/2 c
- crumbled vegan feta cheese, optional
1Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, bell pepper and carrots, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until leeks are soft. Stir in pasta sauce and 1 cup water. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
2Meanwhile, cook gemelli according to package directions.
3Stir crunchy sprouts into pasta sauce, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Serve sauce over gemelli, and sprinkle with feta cheese, if using.