Rabbit / Hare Stew
This makes quite a thin gravy so if you like it thicker when you fry the onions put in a bit of flour and that goes towards thickening the gravy.
Obviously it can be adapted to have other meats in it.
- wild rabbits, skinned and jointed
- 9 oz
- 250g salted pork belly or pancetta, cut into chunky cubes
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large
- onion, thickly sliced
- 3 large
- carrots – i cut them into large chucks.
- 4 stalk(s)
- celery - again large chunks
- bay leaves
- 1 sprig(s)
- thyme, if handy
- 500ml cider or red wine (a nice merlot)
- 1 large
- teaspoon honey (i use manuka but any nice heavily flavoured honey will do the job)
- a few pinch
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix them all around and then pack them down
Pour the cider over the top and then if you need to add enough water to cover the whole lot.
or you can do it on top of the stove…bring it to a simmer, cover then turn down and cook for about an hour and a half…keep on a low simmer.