SUBSTITUTIONS CHART (Heart Healthy) by freda
May be worth Knowing, & Keeping.
Note: I may be adding to this List As I Learn More Reliable Substitutions.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 cup of
- butter, can be replaced with same amt of margarine, or 3/4 cup polyunsaturated oil
- 1 Cup
- heavy cream, can be replaces with 1/3 cup oil or margarine with3/4 cup skim milk.
- 1 Cup
- whole milk, can be replaced with 1 cup skim, milk, or 1& milk or skim canned milk
- 1 Cup
- sour cream, can be replaced with 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt.
- hard shortenings, bacon fat, chicken fat, all can be replaced with soft margarine.
- 1 whole
- egg, can be replaces with 2 egg whites, or 1 egg equivilent egg substitute.
- 1 oz.baking chocolate, can be replaced with 3 tbs cocoa and 2 tbs margarine ( to lower sat. fat)
- regular mayonaise & miracle whip, replace with non-fat miracle whip, or combination of plain yogyrt with light mayonaise, or use light mayonaise sparingly.
- hard-type cheese, replace with part-skim milk, softer cheeses & 1% or 1 1/2% cottage cheese or skim ricotta.
- ice cream
- can be replaced with ice milk, non-fat frozen yogurt, non-fat ice cream, sorbet, sherbert, fruit ice, or ice pops.
- reg. oil bases salad dressings, can be replaced with fat-free, colesterol free brands, or made from scratch with acceptable oil
- Cream Soup
- cream soup base, can be replaced with 1%, non-fat, or powdered milk.
- croissants, rich dinner rolls, muffins, doughnuts, high-fat crackers, all can be replaced with, non-fat pretzils, lower-fat crackers, english muffins, rice & popcorn cakes, whole-grain breads, & rolls
- choose fresh, chicken, beef, pork,
- sweets, replace with fresh fruits, such as all melons, apples,grapes, & bananas
- replace with low salt, no salt, or spices
- replace with sugar substitutes, splenda, stevia, (read your lables for sodium)
- replace with cornstarch, flour, tapioca,
- Soup Base
- replace with home made, & frozen, or fat free, low sodium, salt free boulion bases
SUBSTITIONS, (HEART HEALTHY CHOICES)
1Begin with Improving your Knowledge of sources of FAT, COLESTEROL, SUGAR, & SALT.
2NEXT; Learn about "SUBSTITUTIONS".
What food item will work just as well as the higher FAT, Higher SALT, and Higher Colesterol Item.
3Print and Keep this Chart Handy in your Kitchen Cabinet.